Terms of Reference
Monitoring tools for Inclusive Community Resilience project (TZ712)
Tanganyika Christian Refugee Service (TCRS) was established in 1964 to provide emergency relief and humanitarian services to refugees and asylum seekers in Tanzania. At first, TCRS operated as a Tanzanian country programme of the Lutheran World Federation’s Department for World Service LWF/DWS and later on as an autonomous Non-governmental Organization.
Since 1984, TCRS extended its operations to development work to disadvantaged groups of communities in order to empower them from extreme poverty due to socio-cultural, economic and climate related challenges. TCRS history in Kishapu goes back to 2007, Morogoro 2005 and Kilwa 2004 respectively when the organization started to empower communities in some villages in the specified districts.
The Inclusive Community Resilience project started in 2022 where it operates in 45 villages. 15 villages in Kishapu, 15 villages in Morogoro and 15 villages in Kilwa. Inclusive community resilience project is promoting resilience and diversification of sustainable livelihood to increase vulnerable marginalized communities’ capacities to attain improved food security and increased income opportunities. The project is considering the innovative combination of technologies, practices, and approaches to enhance resilience or adaptive capacities of target beneficiaries to climate change threats.
The purpose of this consultancy is to develop monitoring tools that can be used well to collect the data for the whole project cycle in 2022-2025
- To get the data for the semi and annual
- To get the data from target households
- To ensure Monitoring and Evaluation tools are understood by TCRS staff and village animators.
4. Scope of Work
- Review project documents including project plan, results reporting matrix and household survey mother
- Develop monitoring tools at the household level (including collecting, analysing and storing data).
- Work on the question definitions from the indicators and questionnaires plus the integration with the household survey mother
- The method for data collection in the households should be designed a paper questionnaire and online monitoring tools such as Kobo Tools (including an integration to the offline monitoring tool)
- Design the method of transferring the data to the mother
- Ensuring the work targets the most vulnerable and can follow how different incentives improve the household’s situation with different scores (1-10).
- Instructions should include the whole process including the use of the household reference code
- A system for coding for households should be used throughout and immersed in the monitoring tools, so that data collected during different points of time all the way to the end of the project in 2025 can be connected to household
- Ensure the data collected from the household level contributes to the indicators listed in the TZ712 results’
- Extrapolates baseline values from the baseline survey which was done using a sample to each household in the mother excel. (This can be done towards the end of the consultancy after the data collection tools are sent to the Project Leaders in Morogoro, Kishapu and Kilwa).
5. Expected timeline:
- The Consultant shall commence the work as soon as possible, immediately upon signing the
- A detailed timeline, budget and work plan should be submitted within 7
- The final documents should be delivered to TCRS office not later than 15th December
6. Mode of payment:
Payment will be made in two installments. 40% payment will be made in advance after signing the contract and remaining 60% will be made after successful delivery of the final documents.
- Bachelor Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Community Development, Project Management, Community Economic Development or Business Administration.
- Certificate in M&E, statistics or economics
- An excellent understanding of project cycle management (including problem/objective trees, stakeholder analysis, project planning, budgeting).
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in an M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of inter/national development projects.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout
- Experience in designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems.
- Experience in developing and refining data collection
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Swahili including ability to write
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, databases software, Outlook express
The proposal can be rejected and the contract canceled, in case any illegal or corrupt practices are connected with the award or the execution of the contract.
Interested qualified consultants/or consultancy firms are invited to submit applications through: Acting Director,
Tanganyika Christian Refugee Service (TCRS),
P.O. Box 3955, Dar es Salaam.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15th November 2022